Saturday, April 19, 2014

Against the grain...

I've always marched to the beat of my own drummer so I'm used to people looking at me sideways when they don't agree with my lifestyle choices. Even some friends and family members have called me a "mess" or "weird," but I don't like to go along with the crowd so I make my own path. It's best explained that I'm a "Why?" person. I'm constantly asking this question in order to gain understanding & get to the root of things. I'm not going to get involved in anything just because someone said it was the latest & greatest, but because I turn to researching & learning about a topic first to make the best informed decision. Then I keep learning & researching. The same is true with my Paleo lifestyle & as I've said before anytime I get further understanding I'm going to share it with y'all.

I've had a plethora of people scoff & call me "crazy," a "fun-sucker," or a "villian" because I'm a strict advocate of the no bread/grains side of Paleo which seems to cause instant panic in people. I'm trying to help people live a life as long & healthy as possible. We've all seen our loved ones get sick & some with serious diseases (Diabetes, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, etc.). What if we could limit our potential to contract these diseases by changing our diet to exclude additives, preservatives, & chemicals to instead eat an all natural, whole foods diet? Wouldn't that be ideal?

So let's consider this:
A lifestyle diet eating food from companies who make conveniently packaged, chemically laden food products VS the all natural, whole foods Paleo lifestyle approach I've been blogging about?
Then ask yourself:
Who's really the "villian," "fun-sucker," or "crazy" entity here?

*Further information against grains*
Grain products also contain anti-nutrients called phytates. Phytates are nutrient blocking substances. For example, if you're eating a salad with leafy greens full of vitamins & minerals your body needs but you're also eating it with garlic bread, the phytates in the bread will block the nutrients in your salad from being absorbed & used in your body. YIKES! (click here to see my other informational post on grains) With all this information about grains hindering nutrients in our bodies it seems to be a no-brainer that we would leave them out of our diets. I know you love your bread & god forbid you couldn't make sandwiches anymore, but think outside the box on this one. Use romaine lettuce to create lettuce wraps for your sandwiches or burgers instead, for dip like hummus use cucumbers or carrots, & for those that love salsa & guacamole you can use it as dressing for a fajita salad. There are a tons of yummy & nutritious ways to enjoy the foods you love without grains. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment