Sunday, December 15, 2013

Tis the season!

To be tempted with sugary, processed, additive infected "treats." I know its hard to say no and you don't want to be insulting, but simply let the "treat" maker down easy by saying "It looks great! But I have to decline. I don't eat (insert "treat" here) because I chose a Paleo lifestyle that doesn't include it." I've gotten mixed responses of incredulity and admiration, but in the end I walk away without ingesting said "treat."

Its hard to put yourself out there to be judged by others for your life choices, which constantly happens on a daily basis anyway. I've had my fair share of the "judge and jury" types about choosing a Paleo lifestyle. Its great to be different, to have your own voice, and to make your own opinions. I'm sure we've all had our parents say to us at one time or another "if your friend went and jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?" Uh, no Mom and Dad because that's just stupid. When you're a kid its stupid because we don't want to die, but as an adult it takes on a whole new meaning of being your own individual who makes their own choices and doesn't follow the crowd. Thus, making it stupid because you don't want to be a follower.

Since going Paleo I've had my fair share of mixed sentiments ranging from respect and supportive to down right damning. Not only from strangers, but from coworkers and friends as well. Talk about a reality check. Every decision we make effects our lives in ripples and we may not see them right away, but they'll show up sooner or later. With that being said I'm currently reevaluating some of the people in my life as well as starting a new chapter with my secondary education. Ah!

So, soapbox aside, if you don't want to put yourself out there and decline these sugary, non-Paleo treats, then politely take one and excuse yourself to get a drink. You can give it away to someone or secretly throw it away. You don't have to eat it! I think a lot of us were raised to eat all of our food as a "waste not, want not" mentality, but this has caused a lot of us to overeat. Its ok to say no or to throw it out instead of eating it.

Speaking of being supportive, if you live in the south there is a delicious burger joint called Twisted Root and it just so happens they have a very yummy Paleo friendly option:
Burger in a bowl!! Just order it without cheese or croutons. Good. To. Go! Also, the sweet potato fries are amazing and not salted, but cinnamoned. Yes, they are sprinkled with yummy cinnamon as their seasoning. (This is not a paid advertisement, but a friendly suggestion from you Paleoan blog host. Visit the link above to find a location near you!)

*Behind the scenes update: Tomorrow is my birthday and I've been nicotine free for almost 2 weeks! Whoop, whoop, I did it! Another milestone accomplished this year. Thanks for the support y'all!


No comments:

Post a Comment